Log in

The Pregnant Community
Baby's arrival! 
I've only posted here a few times, but I figured I'd share my not-so-interesting birth story anyway, since I enjoyed going through the memories and reading everyone else's (:

Friday, June 29th (making me 39 weeks 4 days), I woke up around 4am and felt what I *thought* was my first contraction lol.. they were far apart, not very painful, and eventually went away but I was excited regardless. Excited enough to not get anymore sleep. Later that afternoon, my husband and I headed to my parent's house (who live 20 minutes down the street) for a bbq. I wasn't feeling anymore contractions but I was having this watery pink discharge.. which I figured was also nothing.. but I brought my hospital bag with us anyway. Wishful thinking? ;)

Around 5pm, we ran to walmart to grab a few things and as we were walking in I felt this SMALL gush. I went straight to the bathroom and figured it was just more weird discharge. It was clear and watery but not a lot so I didn't really think my water broke and I was sure it wasn't urine because I felt the gush and it felt nothing like I was peeing lol. We finished shopping since it didn't soak through my pants or anything (just threw a panty liner on.) Once we got back to my parents, I felt one or two more smaller gushes and decided to go to L&D to get checked, just in case. I was fairly certain in my mind that my water hadn't broke (I expected it to be much more fluid) but I was paranoid and just wanted to make sure everything was okay. I was planning on being sent home otherwise I may not have actually went in so soon!

Got to the hospital around 7pm, filled out some paper work, and shortly were in an exam room. The woman who checked me said she was fairly certain my water had broken but had to do another test to make sure. Apparently she saw fluid, the "paper test" said yes, but then she had to look under a microscope. I wasn't paying too much attention because I realized even though I had become SUPER impatient the past few weeks, I wasn't really expecting him to arrive today! I was expecting my first baby to be LATE! I kept telling my husband "I want to go home!" Lol. I guess reality never set in until then.

She confirmed my membranes had ruptured, admitted me, and moved us into a birthing room. By then I could tell my water had broke, it decided to really gush out eventually! But, I wasn't contracting and when they checked in the exam room I was between 2-3cm, which I had been since my appointment earlier that week. After my midwife arrived, we discussed some things, and I wasn't exactly given a time limit but she said they LIKE the baby to come within 18-24 hours of your water breaking - obviously I could still refuse whatever they suggested but that was what they try to influence you to agree to. After talking, I chose to let them start Pitocin. There was more in between, but I don't really remember details and was busy calling my mom and whoever else haha. I had no birth plan really (I tried to make one so many times but I just couldn't decide what I wanted) other than I knew I'd eventually get pain meds and I knew I trusted my midwife and doctors so I'd just see how things progressed.

Around 9:30pm, they started the Pitocin. Eventually I finally felt contractions and whewww they were getting stronger.. at least I finally felt like things were going somewhere!

Around 1:30-2am, I asked to be checked and was 7cm so I decided at that point I would get an epidural. I was terrified of it (I was even scared of getting an IV earlier lol) but the anesthesiologist was super nice. I couldn't stop shaking so I was scared it'd mess him up somehow, but he just talked me through the steps and it was over in no time. Definitely not painful. As soon as that kicked in, I didn't feel any more contractions, which to me, was wonderful lol. Time had been going by SO fast somehow and still continued to. Every time I looked at the clock expecting it to be ten minutes later, it'd be a whole hour later.

Sometime around 5am (probably a little before), I started feeling this intense pressure and urge to push. I was pretty sure it was time for him to ARRIVE! They checked me but it wasn't quite time =/ The pain/pressure (I wasn't really sure which is was.. it was such a different feeling..) kept getting worse and not long after that it was time to ACTUALLY start pushing! Which was a relief!

I'm not sure how long I was pushing.. my time frame is based on pictures since it says what time they were taken and we didn't take any while pushing haha. All I know is it was after 5am but before 6:58am ;) My husband thinks it was about 45 minutes of pushing (but says it seemed much shorter in the moment!)

Our little man, Carson Michael, arrived at 6:58am on Saturday, June 30, 2012! 7 lbs 5 oz and 20.75 inches long. He was put on my chest right away and stayed there for about an hour before they bathed him and did their tests (which they did all in the room) and eventually we were moved to our recovery room where we stayed until Monday then headed home!

I think my labor went pretty well and fast for my first, at least compared to what I was expecting in my mind.. Less than 12 hours after arriving at the hospital he was here, and seeing as I wasn't really expecting him that day, that was FAST to me! Recovery from giving birth was also way better than I expected.. I, for some reason, was expecting my body to be in tons of pain but other than the sore muscles I had a few days later, I actually felt pretty good! Oh, and some of the contractions/cramps afterwards were a little painful. I guess my mindset was expect the worse so that made it seem much better?! Lol.

He latched right away but breastfeeding ended up NOT working out for us. He just could NOT get enough, and the lactation consultant was of no help to me.. she basically told me how bad formula was instead of helping me with breastfeeding - which in turn made me FEEL even worse! I was a nervous wreck about feeding him for the first week but once we started supplementing with formula and he could actually get full (And I could tell! He was much happier!) I felt a lot better. Thankfully everyone else at the hospital was amazing other than the lactation consultant.. and I could have asked to see the other but I was sort of embarassed after seeing the first.. It's partially my fault for not trying harder with the breatfeeding/not being more educated on the subject before he arrived, but I was in tears a few times over it and I feel good/much better where we're at now.. whether it be with or without formula as long as he's eating I'm happy! (:

I must say he is absolutely perfect! Now to show the little one off!

16th-Jul-2012 06:06 pm (UTC)
Congratulations! He really is perfect :)
16th-Jul-2012 07:15 pm (UTC)
What a beautiful baby! Congratulations!
16th-Jul-2012 09:09 pm (UTC)
He's really cute! :)
16th-Jul-2012 10:09 pm (UTC)
He is simply adorable!
16th-Jul-2012 11:08 pm (UTC)
so handsome!! i hope i have a very similar story to tell, this makes me not so terrified!
17th-Jul-2012 06:53 am (UTC)
Congratulations! He is beautiful!
30th-Jul-2012 02:57 am (UTC)
Congratulations! No birth story is boring; glad it went so smoothly. :)
This page was loaded Jan 24th 2017, 5:28 pm GMT.