Log in

The Pregnant Community
Official birth story 
I gave a quick update shortly after my son was born, but here is the official birth story!

Wednesday, November 28th I had an OB appointment at 11am. I was 39 weeks and 5 days. my dr asked if I wanted to be checked and have my membranes stripped. At first I said no, because they tried to check me the week before but my cervix was still high up and closed and that totally killed my mood. And I figured there wasn't much change since then. Eventually I agreed to the check though and I was 2cm and 50% effaced. She stripped the membranes, and contractions started shortly after. They weren't painful or regular so I wasn't really sure about them and went about my day. Went shopping, sewed crib blankets, chased my 14 month old around, etc. I started to wonder if my contractions were the real thing, so I posted in here asking if I should time them. Took everyones advice and started timing asap. They were 4 minutes apart. My husband got home around 7pm and I told him what was going on, but he figured it was just a false alarm and was not concerned. By 9pm the pain was getting more intense-- especially if I was walking/moving around. Still 4 minutes apart. I called triage and they told me to wait an hour and come in. Once I got to triage (around 11:30pm) I could not move or talk during a contraction. They checked me and I was still 2cm but 80% effaced. The nurse thought I was just dehydrated so they had me drink a bunch of water and wait a couple hours. My contractions were still coming after all that water, so they had me walk the halls. They told me to walk for 2 hours. I walked 45mins before I said this was enough. I was angry, in pain, and was not walking any longer. I came back to my room and the midwife looked at me like I was making a big deal out of nothing and said, "Oh, what, you couldn't walk any longer??" ughh. The contractions were coming fast and hard by this point. They checked me and I was 100% effaced and 5cm. I told them I no longer wanted to go natural. I needed the epidural. And then a student nurse came in and asked me a bunch of basic questions, like, "SO WHAT BRINGS YOU IN TODAY?" with the BIGGEST smile on his face. At that moment, I had no patience for these questions and I just wanted to shut him up. The regular nurse kind of pushed him out of the room, and then they brought me to an actual L&D room. By the time I got the epidural it was about 3:30am and I was 8cm with contractions 1 minute apart. The epidural slowed labor down a bit. An hour after I got it they checked me and I was still 8cm. They waited 30mins and checked me again though and I was 10cm and felt the need to push 20 or so minutes after that. They had me wait to actually start pushing though. Finally I could not take the pressure anymore, they broke my water, and shortly after that I started pushing. Baby was born in less than 10 minutes at 6:03am on November 29th.
He weighed 7.7lbs (same as my first son!) and 20 inches long.
Here he is, Beckett, my 2nd son. :]
beckett 018
The drs only concern with him is that his hips/knees click. He has to be checked again in about a week and if they aren't better than he has to have an ultrasound done.

He is a week old today and things are finally starting to feel normal. It's hard to believe I'm not pregnant anymore. It's hard adjusting caring for two instead of one. I haven't had much snuggle time with my 14 month old and it really bothers me. I'm sure it bothers him too because every morning he cuddles up to me, wraps my arm around him, and then Beckett wakes up crying only minutes later and I have to stop our cuddle time. breaks my heart!

7th-Dec-2012 05:36 am (UTC)
A new life
7th-Dec-2012 08:30 am (UTC)
He's a cute little guy! Congratulations.
10th-Dec-2012 03:43 am (UTC)
Congratulations! Take care. :)
This page was loaded Mar 29th 2017, 5:19 pm GMT.