You are viewing pregnant

The Pregnant Community
Noah John's birth story 
girl on fire (thg: katniss)
Noah John
Born January 25th (due date February 3rd)
7lbs, 11oz, 22 inches

Second kid means I get to almost two weeks and think "Oh, I probably should write down his birth story before I forget it." :D

Anyway, Noah was born on January 25th at 38 weeks 5 days, a day after a membrane sweep in my midwife’s office, weighing 7 lbs 11 ounces and 22” long. He has cheeks for days. I had gestational diabetes, so they did a growth scan at 37 weeks, where they told me he was already 8 pounds, 6 ounces. Lies. They were off by a pound with my first son, too, so don’t necessarily trust those late term scans! Though there was no risk of me having a 10 pounder apparently, I’m still glad she did the sweep because we have been hammered with snow since the afternoon Noah was born, so at least I wasn’t flying off to the hospital in a blizzard or an ice storm.

I think I started contractions the evening after my midwife appointment, but they could have been BHs, which I’d had since 36 weeks. I went to bed around 10:15 and woke up at 1:45am where I was definitely in labor. I couldn’t sleep so I wandered out to the living room to play on tumblr on my phone. Contractions were 15-20 minutes apart at this point, so I felt pretty confident I’d make it to morning, which was good because that meant not having to wake any relatives to come watch our two-year-old, Nathaniel. Contractions remained steady and started shrinking to about 10 minutes apart over the next two hours. At around 3:30am, I went to the bathroom and sure enough, the bloody show had begun. I woke my husband with the standard “hey, don’t freak out but I’m definitely in labor.” He started timing contractions for me and they started spacing out again. I fell asleep again around 4:30am with things moving about 20 minutes apart. At 6, I woke up because my contractions had intensified, though still 10 minutes apart, and then at 6:30am my water broke! This didn’t happen till I was at the hospital with my older son, so that was a new and gross experience.

I called my midwife practice and left a message with the service saying we’d be heading to the hospital soon, then took a shower because all I wanted was a shower. The one on duty called me back while I was showering, and we played phone tag until she talked to me. She told me to get to the hospital ASAP; my husband called his parents to come get Nathaniel who woke up at his usual time during all this, but my contractions soon dropped to five minutes apart with basically no warning (uh, except my water breaking, haha), so Nate got to come to the hospital with us! Exciting! Lucky for us, he’s a charmer who speaks to adults like he’s one of them, and one of the observing nursing students volunteered to babysit him while we were waiting for Grandma and Papa to show up. Bad Mommy moment: I pretty much forgot he was in the hospital from that point until Noah was born, but I think I had a good reason.

When I got checked by my midwife, I was five cm, which was the same as I was with Nate when I got to the hospital, but Nate took 12 hours to show up and I knew there was no way in hell I was going to last that long with Noah. My midwife offered the tub which I agreed to, but I also knew I was never making it there! Sure enough, once I was checked in bedside and contracting all the while, I was 8 cm and no tub for me. I’d had an epidural the first time around but decided against it this time, which surprised my husband because I’m kind of a pain wuss, but I really hated the spinal needle and the being stuck on the bed thing and the contractions slowing down with the epidural. My impatience trumps my aversion to pain, as it turns out. So I labored on the birthing ball and in a rocking chair and just walking around, and I threw up twice or three times during transition, so I got an IV because of my GD since they were afraid of my blood sugar plummeting. It never did, incidentally, I read at 103 and 110 the two times they tested my sugars. My GD was very mild with both pregnancies and by the end I was barely qualifying as diabetic.

By then, it was about 10:15am and I just had a cervical lip left, which went away fairly quickly and I was given the okay to push. However, Noah’s heartbeat was a little higher than they like so I had to breathe through every other contraction. THIS WAS TORTURE. This was also probably the reason I had to push for TWO FREAKING HOURS. But eventually at 12:12pm after lots of colorful swearing and my husband sweetly lying to me about how much progress I was making and about five suddenly productive pushes, Noah popped out and was plopped right onto my chest for skin-to-skin. I had no tears at all, to my surprise, even though I only had a first degree one with my first kid. My midwife said that’s one plus to having pushed so long; it gives your body a lot of time to adjust. The baby latched like five minutes later and has been a breastfeeding champion since. He had some blood sugar regulation problems for the first twelve hours, but he’s been fine since then. And he’s twelve days old today and already six ounces over his birth weight, having lost only one ounce in the hospital. Such a different beginning nursing experience than with Nathaniel, who liked to scream at my boobs and had to use a shield for the first six weeks. But we nursed for more than 2.5 years right into this pregnancy and I’m looking forward to the same with Noah! Though I’m done having babies now. Lol I’ve been either pregnant or nursing nonstop since July 2010 and it looks like that’s going to continue into approximately 2016. Jeezum.

Anyway, pictures!

Minutes after birth:

With Daddy and Big Brother:

With Mommy:

Yesterday, showing off his pretty eyes:
6th-Feb-2014 08:48 pm (UTC)
Might be personal but what happens during a membrane sweep? I asked for this to help naturally induce and the dr said "well that's one of the most painful things and I don't think you want to do that, do you?" She also told me I went from 3cm 80% effaced to completely shut. SO I'm pretty sure she's an idiot lol. My regular dr actually laughed at her "assessment" when he read my chart the following week.

SO awesome you went au natural! :) When I was pushing after getting the epidural I couldn't imagine doing that without it...I have so much respect for people who can do it without! :)

Adorable boys!! Congratulations!!
6th-Feb-2014 09:38 pm (UTC)
I had one, and it was a bit painful but not major. She literally put her finger into my (not dilated) cervix and rubbed my membranes. I didn't go into labor for 6 more days, though.
6th-Feb-2014 09:45 pm (UTC)
Yep, same for me, though I was already 2cm, which is probably why it only took me a day.
6th-Feb-2014 09:50 pm (UTC)
UGH weird. I hate this woman more now. I was already 3cm etc and that could have saved me some money! LOL The Acupuncture and acupressure massages cost me some 200 $ lol worth it though
6th-Feb-2014 09:46 pm (UTC)
Thank you! It really wasn't that painful, like no more than a pap smear? Less, actually, since it's just a gloved finger and not a speculum doing the cervix prodding, and I've never had any problems during those.
6th-Feb-2014 08:56 pm (UTC)
Soo cute! Congrats!
6th-Feb-2014 09:46 pm (UTC)
Thank you! :D
7th-Feb-2014 02:00 am (UTC)
Congratulations!!! He's totally adorable. You did good!
7th-Feb-2014 08:33 pm (UTC)
Thank you!! I think I'll keep him. :D
7th-Feb-2014 07:41 pm (UTC)
Oh my gosh, those cheeks!
7th-Feb-2014 08:34 pm (UTC)
I knowwww. They're so squishy.
This page was loaded Aug 20th 2014, 6:50 am GMT.