I've had an allergy to egg whites since I was born. I am not sure about yolks, but I avoid that as well. Typical reactions include itchy mouth, hives and also anaphylaxis. My throat can get tight, eyes can swell, etc.
Today during Easter dinner, I had a pretty bad reaction given the amount of food I ate. What happened was my boyfriend's cousin made a cake. My boyfriend cut a slice for himself and asked me if I wanted to eat a little bit of the flower decoration, since I knew I couldn't eat the actual cake part. I said ok and took a teeny, tiny bite. About 30 seconds later, the tip of my tongue started feeling itchy. Then my whole mouth and my face. I didn't get hives as far as I knew, but I was itchy around my cheeks and jaw and was scratching.
I asked the cousin if the flowers were made with eggs. She said no, they were made with merengue powder. I told her that merengue is egg whites. I started feeling better 20-30 minutes later, at least.
I'm normally very, very careful with food other people have cooked and almost always ask what is in things, but I've never come across cake decorations made with merengue. Usually it's fondant or regular icing, which I can eat. Plus, his entire family knows I am allergic to eggs and always tell me in advance what does and doesn't have eggs in it.
From what I looked up, skin reactions are ok but anaphylaxis can harm the baby. Has anyone had really bad reactions to things and if so, what did you do about it? I have an OB appointment on Thursday and I am going to tell him what happened and ask him what I can do in case this happens again.