title_track_1 (title_track_1) wrote in pregnant,

Please help.

I've been away from LJ for 2 weeks.

Ended up having my little boy on May 22nd and hopefully i can post the birth story soon.


He had his circumcision yesterday and it was a NIGHTMARE.

Cut for graphic details.

So my doctor didn't do the circumcision at the hospital because he said the Attendant wasn't available the day we were leaving. He had his vacation the whole following week(i was discharged on a Saturday), but he said he'd do it in the office within 7-10 days. He took both mine and my fiances numbers down again and told me he would call me to set up the appointment. Waited ALL WEEK and he never called.I had never had a problem with my doctor before and he was always very attentive and good and returning my calls. By Monday over a week after i was discharged and my son was 11 days old i called the office and told a nurse what was up. She was suprised that the procedure hadn't been done yet with him being over 7 days old and contacted my doctor to set up an appointment finally. So yester at one o'clock we went in. Him being 13 days.

They gave us a few pages on the procedure and what symptoms to be concerned about, i signed what needed to be. The nurse had told me the whole thing would take 45 minutes and that they would keep him for another 30 to watch how he was doing. Then my doctor came in explained the procedure and told me it would take 15 minutes....when he was finished and left to prepare the nurse came back over to me and assured me that it would actually take longer, 45 minutes like she previously stated.

We left the room and decided to go next store to grab a bite since of course being a new mom it's hard to get meals in sometimes. I got ansty after 20 minutes and all i could think about was him being strapped down and we went back. Almost as soon as we went in they came to the waiting room to get us. The procedure was done so we waited 10 or so minutes before he was to be checked again being told he was the first baby they had seen never cry during all of it.My doctor came back to check to see if there was any bleeding and as soon as he took the bandage off there was a lot of blood. The skin of the shaft had beccome completely seperated which i was told can somtimes happen but from the head to the shaft skin was almost a full inch! His skin was almost completely at the base of his penis. I watched as the docter tried pulling it up and could only help but think that it didn't seem normal for it too be that bad.

So he called in the Attendant who helped him and i'm not completely sure who actually preformed it. They strapped him down again and we watched as the put a gel foam on him to adhere the shaft to the head. Screaming at this point, bleeding all over and me by this point lactating all over the place, practically through my breast pads. The gel foam took and they wanted us to stay another half hour. I took this opportunity to try to feed him a bit and he was checked 3 times by nurses and one time by the doctor and we were told he should be just fine. BUT if anymore bleeding occured go straight to the ER, he might need to be sutured. We stopped at the store for gauze and Vaseline and let him sleep for 10 minutes when we got home before i checked him and tried to ready him for a full feeding.

I opened his diaper to find that he had soaked through the guaze already and i had to get 2 napkins to control the bleeding. I yelled at my fiance to get the car to we could go to the hospital. Of course we get there, had to register, see the triage nurse, do insurance crap and FINALLY get into pediatric ER.

(geez, this is getting long i'll try to get to the point)

Doctors come in to see him and he is GUSHING blood, soaking gauzes, and they give me more gauze and tell me apply pressure here & there and then leave the room. At this point it is just my fiance and i with my screaming little boy holding him down watching him bleed all over. He's hungry again, i'm lactating like crazy again and we have to keep calling the doc's back in because he's going through so much gauze. I asked the doctors about stitching and the likeliness of it happening. One response was "Oh no, that wouldn't fix this".

Then they proceed to leave us again & again, no nurses helping, us going through the cabinets to get more gauze, my fiance constantly going out to call the doctors back in. From what Dustin(fiance) told me is that everytime they were talking to other nurses or on their computer. At this point i'm furious, there were other kids in there but with (by the looks of it) only sprains and such. Not any others bleeding profusely. Especially not any babies. You'd think we'd get more attention. All the while asking me if any blood diseases ran in my family on the ocassion that they did come in. (Which they don't and i explained this 5 or 6 times)

I couldn't breastfeed him so finally i asked for some formula and Dustin had to hold up his head to fead him while i was hold his bottom together. AGAIN NO HELP and me furious that nothing had been done yet, him still bleeding and i can't hold him and feed him.

So i get pissed and after a good 45-60 minutes of all of thisand i said seriously, what the fuck are you waiting for?! Then they tell me that they are waiting for the right size suture. We had to demand to know this, were never informed. Then more waiting....and more aking from us of what the hell the hold up is. "Oh, we're still waiting for the sutures." FINALLY, the urologist comes in, straight to the point looks at it and knows he need a stitch or two because guess what.... THEY NICKED AN ARTERY. An artery! Which of course would explain the pumping blood and prove my other doctors IDIOTS.

The urologist and the lady with him were very quick to access and close him up, saving the day. They were kind, explained everything that was going on and very reassuring that he'd be okay. I had to watch him be stitched up at 6:30 close to almost 2 hours after we had gotten to the ER. Bleeding stopped almost immediately when they closed the artery and almost had to so his shaft so it would stay up. The bed, a pile of guaze, the bed, his clothes,blanket and myself all covered in blood. He was real pale so then they hooked him up to an IV and kept him on it for an hour and a half.

The stupid dostors then paged the on-call family practice doctor from which i go to and he came up to check on us. Obviously very apologetic and lightly trying to feel around about how mad we were and if we'd continue having him seen at the practice. I said ABSOLUTELY NOT. I also had had some problems with them last week with myself which i'll include in the birth story but after both problems there was NO WAY i'd be dealing with anyone there again. The idiot doctor who had been there all along told me he'd give some numbers for other pediatricians and said that we had to put him on Amoxicillin, by the time we were being discharged at 9:30(an hour later) he still hadn't given me the numbers nor the prescription and had to ask for both to 3 different nurses.

Needless to say i am beyond upset. I was a scary calm the whole time and a nurse even commented on me 'taking this so well' being a first time mom. I couldn't cry, i couldn't do anything....i had to worry about keeping my son together because no one else was!

Oh, and then Dustin overheard the urologist say to the doctors that if my son had bled for 15 more minutes he would have gone into shock.

How could my doctor not have known that they hit an artery?
If he thought that maybe he would need stitched, why not just do it? Erring on the side of caution?
How often do things like this happen with this procedure?

So i need your help.
Malpractice? Negligence?
Every single person in my family and my fiances is insisting we sue.

I have a hurting little boy who feeds like crazy so i can't spend hours on the computer to research information, statistics, legal advice, etc.

Your knowledge and opinions would be so appreciated!!

EDIT: to add pictures of my Boo.
Tags: circumcision, complications - baby, doctor/midwife is an ass, emergency room visits, newborn photos, pediatricians
  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

← Ctrl ← Alt
Ctrl → Alt →
← Ctrl ← Alt
Ctrl → Alt →